3.20.2011

89.

We always measure the validity of our lives, the time we have, the measure of success, it's all these numbers, and grades, and competitions, and ugh, sometimes it's nauseating. I mean why do we try to plan for the future, speak about our plans, plan surrounding our expectations, when nothing is the same as it was a minute before. I know i've done it: I'm not going to pretend as though i haven't been the victim to this ridiculous notion. I'm going through that age old college process, and it's nice: it's even settling to know who you want to be and what you want to do: but it's nothing if tomorrow we're nothing. or if there's something greater than plans: like emotions, and experiences, and friends, and loves, and knowledge. I don't know if I'm rambling, or contradicting, or even making any sense, but this stream of conscious sort of thinking is kind of how I'm operating right now.
I'm a fool. For so much, and my foolishness has kind of defined my life and my happiness, or guess at happiness. If i was so secure with my plans, and my expectations for life, why is my happiness broken by a lame response, or none at all, an email that houses a decision, or the response of my boss on not being able to make work on Thursday.
I don't know about much, but last night, as I watched this stream of light sparkle the dust in the air of a dark room, i thought not of how stuffy my nose would be, but of the universe, and the sparkling stars above: and how everyone of us is just a speck of dust, but in my opinion if you see dust in the right light--it's just as beautiful as a glowing ball of gas a million miles away. It's just as beautiful as a second chance, a glimmer of hope, a spasm of excitement, a rush of anxiety, or the solemn realization of a broken heart.

Thinking, as always, Valerie.